2011年5月31日星期二

A collection of well-used heavy bags

A collection of well-used heavy bags and speed bags surround a ring that has seen thousands of rounds of sparring. The faded canvas is spotted with blood stains and patched in places with duct tape. A locker is filled with scuffed head gear and worn gloves that must have struck both leather and jaws countless times.

The “change room” is simply a corner of the gym behind walls of lockers. If I want to use the bathroom inside, one of the coaches has to do a “change room check” to make sure no women are dressing. Or, if they’re busy, someone just yells, “Boy entering the change room!”

The walls of the gym are decorated with weathered posters of famous fighters and fights, alongside framed photos of the gym’s women boxers in various poses, looking fierce and fearless.

Only once did my being male cause trouble. One Tuesday evening, I walked into the gym a few minutes early. A woman lifting weights took offence at my presence. She stopped, glared, pointed at me, then at the door and yelled at me to get out. Humiliated, I stood frozen as she continued to yell. I bowed my head, turned around, closed the door and stood in the hallway, feeling absolutely foolish.

Thankfully, the majority of women have no problem with me and work out here for the same reasons I do – a love of boxing as a great form of exercise and an unequalled stress reliever.

However, some of these women were born to fight. There are a number of highly skilled boxers who train for amateur fights. They are something to watch. And when I watch them spar or train, anything to do with gender vanishes. What I see is dazzling footwork, silky-smooth defence and lightning-quick punch combinations. What I see are fighters.

And yet while these accomplished pugilists train hard to destroy their next opponent, the gym has a remarkably friendly vibe, a refreshing change to the “bet I can kick your ass” mentality at some men’s boxing gyms. At my age, my days of puffing out my chest are long gone. Here, the atmosphere is unintimidating and informal. There’s nothing to prove.

没有评论:

发表评论